skip to content

Conservation Research Institute


University of Cambridge Information on Coronavirus

(Updated 11/2/20 - University of Cambridge website)

The University and Colleges are cooperating closely with Public Health England’s Health Protection Team in Cambridge. Public Health England advice on Wuhan Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov) is updated daily at 2pm.

Latest government advice  

The collegiate University has well developed protocols to prepare for and, if necessary, deal with communicable diseases. Students should feel reassured that all Colleges have made necessary preparations and will communicate with them on a regular basis.

Below is a summary of current guidance for those either returning from China and specified counties, or those planning travel to China in the coming weeks.

Members and staff of the University and Colleges, and their guests recently returned from China or other specified countries in Asia:

If you have recently returned from Wuhan or Hubei Province, you should:

  • Call NHS 111 to inform them of your recent travel. Students should also notify their College nurse (where applicable, otherwise their Porters’ Lodge) and GP
  • Self-isolate for a total period of 14 days following arrival from Wuhan or Hubei, avoiding contact with other people in the same way as you would if you had flu. You should do this whether or not you are experiencing any symptoms. Further advice on self-isolation is provided in the latest government advice (link above). For students, this means staying in your room, or going home if that is practical, and not receiving visitors in your room. This is a simple, common-sense way of minimising the chance of passing on any infection. Your College will help you with practical, pastoral and academic support on self-isolation.

If you have returned from any other location in mainland China, Taiwan, Thailand, Japan, Republic of Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, or Macau AND develop symptoms, however mild, of shortness of breath, cough or fever within 14 days of your return, you should:

  • Call NHS 111 to inform them of your recent travel history. Students should also notify their College nurse (where applicable, otherwise their Porters’ Lodge) and GP
  • Self-isolate immediately at home or, for students, in your room, and follow instructions from the NHS 111 operator.

You do not need to take any action unless you develop symptoms within 14 days of returning from mainland China.

General guidance on travel to Wuhan, Hubei Province or other destinations in China

Latest FCO travel advice for China 

The FCO is advising against all travel to Wuhan and Hubei Province. It is also advising against all but essential travel to the rest of mainland China (not including Hong Kong or Macao). If you are planning a visit to China in the coming weeks, please check the latest advice before confirming your travel arrangements.

General guidance on travel to all other destinations

A number of countries have announced restrictions on entry by travellers from China in response to the coronavirus outbreak. Given the fast-changing situation, please check the latest FCO travel advice (including entry requirements) for your destination and anywhere you are transiting through, and check with your airline before you travel:

Updates will be provided as further advice emerges.

CCI & David Attenbrough Building Guidance

Please find attached guidance information on Coronavirus which relates only to users (staff, visitors, contractors) of the University fo Cambridge Conservation Research Institute sitting within the David Attenborough Building.